Our Policy Report and recommendations
The 2009 WCRF International/AICR report Policy and Action for Cancer Prevention, provides advice and guidance on what can be done to influence and change the lifestyle choices that people make, as they relate to their risk of cancer.
It recommends taking a comprehensive approach and calls on governments to implement policies that would result in comprehensive changes to the environments in which we eat, drink and live. It recognises that this would require a coordinated approach across a wide range of sectors and actors.
Recommendations in the policy report include:
- Ensure a healthy media environment for our children and young people.
- Create healthy food and physical activity environments in public sector settings, like schools.
- Improve the quality of the food supply.
- Design urban areas and transport networks to support physical activity.
- Reduce the availability and affordability of alcohol.
- Encourage breastfeeding.
- Provide populations with the knowledge, awareness and skills to help them reduce their risk of cancer and other NCDs.
Read more about the policy recommendations.
Four country and region specific Policy Report Nationalised Summaries are currently available. These contain key information from the Policy Report and country or region specific context for the evidence examples and recommendations in particular.
A Brazilian Policy Report Executive Summary, in Portugese, has been published in collaboration with the Brazilian National Cancer Institute (INCA).
A Latin American Regional Summary, in Spanish, has been published in collaboration with the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO).
A Policy Report Executive Summary with a US Perspective. The Summary includes information from a report commissioned by AICR entitled ‘Progress Achieved Toward the Diet and Physical Activity Recommendations for U.S. Stakeholders and Sectors in the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) and the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) Report’.
French and English summaries by the Canadian Partnership Against Cancer.
Canadian Policy Report executive summary (English)
Canadian Policy Report executive summary (French)
Sign up for more information on the continuous update and policy report.